Monday 11 February 2008

I give up and that’s ok!


I Love Wood by SanFran67

Dutch geese by Molly Jey

I just discovered papercutting (scherenschnitte) and I’m completely amazed. I didn’t know that you could make something so pretty and delicate with nothing more than a piece of paper, a sharp blade, a lot of patience and dexterity. I almost fell off my computer chair when I saw this free pattern that includes a sweet squirrel holding an acorn. I love squirrels! With some advice from Jackie at smoothpebble I decided to give it a try. I enjoy reading blog posts that show exemples of courage and determination (ex: it was a challenge but I finally finished my beautiful quilt after 10 months of sweat and tears) but this will not be the case. I gave up after 15 minutes and I really don’t mind! I admit that I have limitations and using a blade that could slice off one of my fingers during a short moment of inattention (ex: my dog is eating cat littler) is just not my thing. Sometimes, it’s simply better to admire the beauty in the work done by other people.

11 comments:

Snippety Gibbet said...

Oooooooh, thanks for the beautiful photos and the links. I'm a paper cutter and love to discover new things that folks are doing. jan

Catalyst Of Calamity said...

Oooooh...spooky! I've been inspired by paper cutting lately too and I just put up a free pattern for a papercut Valentine with a squirrel on my blog! This was my first attempt - it went well and it was pretty fast and most importantly I still have all my fingers!

Anonymous said...

hee hee
you're so funny, I avoid projects with knives too, especially stamp carving... unless it's a rotary cutter of course,
Juliette

Anonymous said...

so glad you gave it a try. isn't that part of the fun - to be inspired and challenged to try something new. even if it doesn't work out, you can cross something off the list, and sometimes that's a good feeling.

Anonymous said...

Yea...I get a little scared I'll slice off a piece of finger too. I try to go with small blades for my own protection. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! I have a pile of scraps from my failed projects. I would love to complete a quilt, even if it took me a year. I have a pile of elephant pieces, nightgowns, photos, etc.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful work Claudia, I especially love the deer in front of the trees.

Anonymous said...

Yes,it is best to have all your fingers intact and at least say that you gave it a go:0)
I have to say,I am so clumsy with sharp objects that I will not be giving this a go anytime soon.
Stick to making those yummy cupcakes,anymore pics soon????
I still haven't found the time to make some,I have NO idea why.......
take care and keep warm:0)

Señorita Puri said...

This is so beautiful. Shame on me that i'm such a clumsy oaf!

Cindy Bean said...

I'll have to make some easier templates. Good job for trying!

Rumour has it said...

It seems that this kind of art is well known in Switzerland. I like all those little and fragile details.