Saturday 26 January 2008

Center of gravity...where are you?

How difficult could it be? I mean, it is just a little mobile! Big mistake! How naive! The mobile swap organized by Elsie Marley is such a lovely idea. However, the last time I saw a mobile was at a baby shower, over a years ago, and I sadly did not take the time to analyze the technical aspects of its construction. Too bad! After I received my swap partner information, I decided to go for something "contemporary" but with a feminine touch. Looking for inspiration, I came across the birds drawing on the last page of Lotta Jansdotter Simple Sewing. It became my pattern. There is just one problem and when I say problem I mean wasting an entire Friday evening trying to figure out where the center of gravity of my damn birds was! This morning, when I woke up, I had a vision that will probably help me solve that problem but I will work on it later because right now, I'm going shopping with my husband. Normally I'm not crazy about shopping, I have this bad relationship with money, but for my birthday (who's approaching too fast!) I can get pretty much anything that I want but it has to be done in a two hours time frame. That's the tradition! Got to go :)

7 comments:

Ali said...

The birds will be worth it!

Anonymous said...

I love the fabrics you have picked out for the birds!

I am still pondering what to do for my mobile. Hmmmmm...I am thing leaves, mabye.

meg said...

I didn't know what I was getting into either! good luck finding the center of gravity!

Hoola Tallulah said...

Awww hope you work out the mobile, make sure you show is pics, and I want to see birthday pressie's too, yay!
Wishing you a wonderful birthday (you didn't say when it is, you naughty girl!) I hope you found some prettie's <3

Anonymous said...

Claudia,
You and I are on the same page.Birds is my theme aslo.Yours are darn cute though.I hope you have it all figured out soon,
take care,

jillytacy said...

I think your birds will be great! I love the contemporary look to them. I also signed up for the mobile swap, then felt very freaked out when I got my partner(who is a professional designer.) I'm a stay at home mom with a very whimsical crafting style. I also did a bird mobile and posted pics today. My plan is to put it in the box and mail it out tomorrow before I start to think it's not good enough. Right now there are just a couple of photos but when there are more I think I'll freak even more. So off in the mail it goes. Good luck with your birds, I'm anxious to see the finished product. By the way are you nervous about what you'll get? I'm not, so I guess I shouldn't stress about my creation either. Neither should you.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree with all of the above, You will do a good job in the end...But it is extra stressful making the actual mobile for someone else. I am glad looking back that the recipient asked for specific colors, that got me started and then there's no going back (deadline and all). I think you shouldn't worry about the birdies center of gravity until after they are stuffed, if that's what you intend to do. they will probably be front heavy, so maybe it's two third up the back.
I have a science background and this morning I can feel it scratching it's way out!
juju