Friday 4 January 2008

High as a ...dog!?!

I completed my very first softy and it is...um...special but I just love it! My little creature is a “vintage inspired-yet contemporary doggy-on some illegal substance-ready to give you a seisure if you look at it in the eyes for too long”! Nice! It is made with a pattern from the book Softies by Therese Laskey. According to the book's introduction, softies can be a political statement about the value of handmade over the mass production of objects. It is indeed a very noble idea in a world where goods travel thousands of milles before they find their way to our shopping bag. However, I guess that my approach was more naive. I just wanted a cute cracked-out puppy dog on display in my office area!

5 comments:

ingrid said...

I think he's cute! I also got the Softies book for Christmas, but haven't had time to try out any of the patterns yet.

Lina said...

Great sentiment against mass production, but I 'm with you, he's an original cutie! Thanks for the knitting tips!

Cora said...

What a cutie!! I'm hearing a lot about the softies book... looks like I'm going to have to check it out!

Anonymous said...

What a cutie, great job!

Amazon said...

very cute, I wanna make some. He looks kinda like a deer.