Sunday 13 January 2008

Take it easy!

Sometimes I wonder if it’s actually worth it. I could just take my credit card, type http://www.etsy.com and buy a beautiful object made by a very talented craft maker. That would save me some time. Sometimes I consider myself to be nothing else than a little drop in an ocean of crafty people. In a society were perfection is often required, it is difficult not to compare ourselves and feel inadequate. For many individuals in the craft blogosphere, creating is a living…it pays the rent, it gets food on the table. For others, like me, crafts are a hobby, a way of escaping from our 9 to 5 job at an office downtown. I have to learn to accept my limits and understand that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence! A full time painter, seamstress, illustrator, etc. has, I’m sure, her moments of doubt about her ability to fulfill her life. In moments of uncertainty we should always take a minute and find encouragement in people who believe in us: a husband, a friend, a parent, a co-worker or a perfect stranger who left a nice little comment on Flickr. It is even better when that stranger, commenting on my little softy dog, is the author of the book Softies!

My next project: George the Elephant King!

4 comments:

futuregirl said...

This is how all of us feel. We are *all*, in fact, just a small drop in a big ocean. Each of us bring a tiny bit to with us, but none of us have everything. No one is good at everything. No one has enough money or enough time. No one is totally confident 100% of the time. Well, no one I know. :)

I can't wait to see your elephant! :)

Anonymous said...

George looks adorable,I can't wait to see him all finished.
That is so cool that the author left a comment on your super duper dog.I love his eyes.
take care,

Bridget said...

heavens, no - none of us are confident all the time . . . yet I would dare say that most of us are creative far more often than we give ourselves credit for. I imagine that event planning has moments of intense creativity - albeit of a different type than when you are working on your elephant! and creating wonderful gifts for strangers - isn't that a little bit like event planning? Pulling together something that you hope will surprise and delight, then putting it out there without really knowing what will happen? And your baking project - the new recipes (really need to try the chai muffin, by the way) - turning something everyday into an event. it's all gloriously inter-related, all deliciously creative - at least when seen from this distance . . .

Ella said...

aha! i see. i just might have to order that book. i love George.