Claire from sausage dogs asked me a few questions about motherhood. And please, don't judge me because I really enjoyed using an ugly pink hospital hip bath!!!
Things I wish I knew before motherhood
Of course, there are many little things that I wished I knew before I became a mother (for example, it is actually true that milk comes out of your breasts when your baby cries). However, there is one thing that I really wished I knew from day 1.
When you read about motherhood, it seems that there is always a magical connection, as soon as the baby is born, between the mother and her child. Well, for me, it was not really the case. Yes, I fell overwhelmed with joy but I remember looking at Alice during the first few days and feeling a bit disconnected. It was like if I didn't register yet that this little creature was my baby. Maybe I was so in shock (I know, I had plenty of time to get mentally ready but what can I say!) that I was having a difficult time letting my "mother" emotions sink in.
Well, what happened to me is actually perfectly normal! It takes some time to adjust to this BIG change and there was no reason for me to feel like a "bad mother" because I didn't have that magical connection with my daughter the second that I saw her. Even now, after 6 weeks, I'm still surprised (and amazed) to find a baby, my baby, sleeping next to me!
Most useful baby items for Alice
1) baby washcloths...because Alice regurgitates like crazy
2) glaxal base moisturizing cream...because Alice has dry skin
3) bamboo muslin blankets...because they are so practical
4) baby bjorn bouncer...because Alice can be with me all the time
5) stroller and/or baby carrier...because I like to be independent
Most useful grownup items for me
1) husband!...because he makes me very happy
2) nursing pads...because I leak everywhere
3) lanolin "nipple" cream...because, well, you know why
4) hip bath (yeah!!!)...because it felt good after I gave birth
5) water and more water...because breastfeeding makes me thirsty
Stuff Alice or I could have done without
1) nursing bras...because they make me feel like a grand-mother*
2) nursing pillow...because I find breastfeeding easier without it
3) baby mittens...because Alice doesn't scratch herself
4) pacifier...because so far Alice is pretty quiet
5) having too many visitors the first few weeks!!!
* instead I will get a few Elita crossover mini cami
* * * * *
clairsy : I hope that you enjoyed my answers! Take care xox
juultje : Oh wow! Thank you so much. I also get all kinds of crazy scenarios (like : "but what if she is an hermaphrodite") but I think that all mothers are a bit like that! And don't let the fears take all the room :)
vanessa - lynn david handbag co.: Ah! I never had to use a pull down changing station! Tomorrow, I'm going to the movie theater with Alice ("bring your kid presentation" of Water for Elephants) so maybe it will happen!